Monday, February 21, 2011

Daring to Dream - My Down Read (3 stars)


Often after a heavy read, or succession of heavy reads as is more the norm, I turn to an old favorite like Nora Roberts for a leisure read. She tends to be my go-to author for a break.
Since I knew I would be heading into a couple of book club reads and several YA wolf/vampire novels for research (more to come on the YA book I'm writing in the coming months), I picked up one of her older books (1996).
Daring to Dream (#1 in the Dream Trilogy) follows fiesty Margo Sullivan from her modeling days, the inevitable fall from grace, and then straight jump into bed with a man who she's known all her life.
This book, and I swear I don't generally say this about Nora Roberts' books, felt contrived and silly from the onset. I found Margo to be a brat and her newfound love, Josh Templeton, a jerk with anger and jealousy issues. Margo, of course the housekeeper's daughter, grew up in the fabulously wealthy Templeton household... think the Hiltons. If you can't imagine caring about Paris' love life, skip Margo's.
Margo's fall from fame to finding her love and newest successful and money-making adventure was too quick and left me not caring all that much about any of them. Giving the author the benefit of the doubt, I did pick up #2 in the trilogy, and I hope it doesn't disappoint. After all, few of her books have. One of the things I love about Nora Roberts is her books aren't generally predictable. She has written trilogies on vampires (The Circle Trilogy), witches (Three Sisters Island Trilogy) and has a series of thrillers under the alias J.D. Robb, and all the ones I've read have been well written and pulled you in from the beginning. So don't judge an author by one book, especially one as prolific as Nora.
Rating: 3 stars (probably more like 3.5)

0 comments: