Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Review of the Movie: Bridesmaids

I don't often review movies, simply because I don't normally have time to watch movies either at home or in the theater. I made an exception this past date night and twisted my hubby's arm to go see Bridesmaids with me. Plus, I haven't had a whole lot of extra reading/movie-watching time since I started participating in Wordcount's Blogathon on our Depression Cookies blog.


But on to the funny. Bridesmaids does what most comedies cannot manage, it actually has scenes far funnier than the previews. I hate to see hilarous previews only to find out every SINGLE funny scene in the movie was in the preview. Not so with this one. Producer Judd Apatow (Knocked Up, The 40-Year-Old Virgin) does not disappoint.

Just to give a brief overview for the few people who haven't heard about the movie, Bridesmaids is about Annie (Kristen Wiig), a woman down on her luck who finds out her best friend Lillian (Maya Rudolph) is getting married. Maid of Honor duties begin as does a rivalry with one of Lillian's other bridesmaids. As you can imagine, things go from bad to worse.

The funniest scene involves a luncheon at a suspect Brazilian restaurant followed by the ladies trying on gowns. Truly, I've never laughed so hard. Megan, as played by Melissa McCarthy, steals the show most of the movie, but all the main ladies get to chew on a scene of two.

What I loved most . . . it wasn't JUST a comedy. Your heart broke for Annie, and I was smitten with the Irish cop who tries to get her back on even footing. You'll laugh, you'll cry, and you might even feel an intense desire to run to the restroom. Sure, there were a few moments I wanted more, but they were few and far between.

Warning: Those easily offended by crude humor should avoid. If you can't handle The Hangover, you can't handle this! (This from a woman who has yet to see The Hangover, so I'm basing this off my husband's review.)

Enjoy!

0 comments: