Sunday, October 2, 2011

Wilderness Heart, Jacqueline Hopkins (2 stars)

I pride myself on not judging a book by its cover, so I dove into the book with no expectations, good or bad. (Note about the cover: my nine-year-old asked why I was reading a book about Ken and Barbie with brunette hair.)

I can even put aside poor writing and editing mistakes for the sake of good story, but this one was an uphill battle. I wanted to care more for Lyn, a female hunting guide facing constant male judgement, but the writing was long-winded and the editing mistakes glaring. I implore writers to make sure they pay an editor with good references to look at their work prior to publication. Never hand your reader a reason not care on a silver platter.

There was potential for the main character, and I had a soft spot for her father, but overall I was disappointed. The sensual scenes were cheesy and lackluster and the conflict was downright flimsy and overplayed. Lyn smokes and cusses, oh my!

For my complete review, please visit Rebeccas Reads.

2 comments:

CatherineS said...

I've searched high and low on Rebecca's Reads for the full review of this but it is nowhere to be found. I've looked under title/genre/author and via the search box. Do you have a direct link? (Not just to RR generally?)

Tia Bach said...

Cathy, Sorry. I looked for it, too. Sometimes there's a lag (I've found a larger lag with lower stars, so my assumption is the author can decide whether a review is posted or not).

You raise a good point, though. In the future, I will wait to post here until I can do a direct link and save my readers some trouble. ;-)

Thanks for stopping by, and sorry for your inconvenience.

I stopped by and saw your site. Loved it!