Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Valentine's Day and Love Stories

Happy Valentine's Day! A day honoring love makes me want to talk about love stories. I was swamped yesterday and missed my Musing Mondays post. The prompt from Should be Reading:
<>
What is your favorite romantic book--or book that includes a love story? (an adult romance, young adult, kids' story, anything)

My favorite romantic book in the last few years was Outlander by Diana Gabaldon. My complaint with most romance novels, although even I like a simple romance now and again, is how closely they all follow the same formula... boy meets girl, boy is terrified of commitment, there's an instant attraction, girl follows her heart, a misunderstanding occurs, boy and girl end up together.

Outlander offered so much more. It's realistic, gritty, but still captures your heart. On the young adult side, I really enjoyed the City of Bones trilogy. There's romance, but it's not clear cut and both the male and female characters have strength (same with Outlander).

I don't enjoy seeing a woman who ignores all brain signals to listen to her heart. Sure, I want her heart to rule in the end, but only after running some obvious things through her brain first.

I also noticed Oprah's book club online posted The 8 Greatest Love Stories of All Time. They are:
  1. The Invisible Bridge, Julie Orringer
  2. Important Artifacts and Personal Property from the Collection of Lenore Doolan and Harold Morris, Including Books, Street Fashion, and Jewelry by Leanne Shapton
  3. The Hunchback of Notre Dame, Victor Hugo
  4. Blankets, Craig Thompson
  5. Brokeback Mountain, Annie Proulx
  6. Tuck Everlasting, Natalie Babbitt
  7. One Day, David Nicholls
  8. Love Story, Erich Segal
I haven't read any of these, although One Day is in my to be read pile.

Reader friends: Have you read any of these? Would you recommend any?

And on this Valentine's Day, please share with me the best love story you've ever read.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Of course, Outlander is one of my favorite books (and series!). I've never read the City of Bones trilogy, although it's on my to-read list. Tuck Everlasting . . . oh, man. My son's 4th grade teacher read that one to the class, and he LOVED it!

Morgan said...

OUTLANDER!!!!!!! *freaks out* I've lost count how many times I've read it... I seriously love that book soooo much ;) New follower here... I'm stoked to read your future posts! :D

Tia Bach said...

Glad to know Outlander brings us all together!

And, Melissa, I'll have to add Tuck Everlasting to my to be read pile now. Thanks!