Friday, June 29, 2012

Disney Pixar's Brave (5 stars)

(Disney) Pixar you've done it again!

Brave is Pixar's 13th straight number one film at the box office.

And it deserves to be.

On so many levels, I loved this movie. And I am not alone. I took all three of my girls (ages 12, 10 & 7). They each loved it. Even the hubby enjoyed it, although it's definitely a girl-focused tale.

Brave follows the journey of Merida, a princess burdened with the responsibility of a kingdom. She must marry one of the other clans' princes to maintain peace among her people. She doesn't want to. She's fiercely independent and strong, and quite frankly her suitors are lacking.

In a very Wonder Woman (and I love Wonder Woman) moment, she disobeys her mom and enters herself into the challenge for her hand. She shows up the boys in an archery contest. Her mother takes her aside and tries to explain that she doesn't have a choice. But neither is listening to the other.

Merida runs off and encounters a witch. We've all seen enough Disney movies to cringe when Merida asks the witch to "change her mother." The mother is turned into a bear, the very animal who took Merida's father's leg. He has spent his life waiting for revenge.

What I loved best was that I walked away wanting to really "hear" my daughters. A mother's job is so difficult. We must prepare our children to leave us and embark on their own journeys. But don't worry. The message is not heavy-handed. Instead it's interwoven with humor, action, and beautiful scenery.

As the mom of three daughters, I love any movie that showcases a strong, self-determined princess versus one that is just waiting for the prince to save her. I like Fiona from Shrek, Belle from Beauty and the Beast, Mulan from Mulan, and Rapunzel from Tangled. This one does it better, because Merida doesn't need her prince. At least not yet.

Although there is one scene of men with naked butts (cartoon butts, and these are Irishmen with kilts) and some rowdy behavior, this is a movie for all ages. There's something for everyone. This ranks up there as one of my favorite Disney Pixar films and that says a lot because I loved NemoToy Story, and The Incredibles.

Rating: 5 stars

Whick Disney Pixar movie has been your favorite?

3 comments:

Elise Fallson said...

I saw this yesterday with the kids and loved it. My son got a bit scared during a few scenes but my daughter was fine. What a great movie! (=

Unknown said...

I'm taking my youngest and two of her friends to see this for her birthday this next weekend. I can't wait!

Tia Bach said...

Elise, So glad you & the kids loved it! Can't wait to see you.

Melissa, Looking forward to hearing what you think!