Monday, December 31, 2012

2013 TBR (To Be Read) Pile Challenge

This 2013 To Be Read Pile Challenge comes from Adam at Roof Beam Reader

I tried this challenge last year, and just let myself get way too far behind. So it's time to take it on and complete it!

Here are the basic rules: 
1. Each of these 12 books must have been on your bookshelf or “To Be Read” list for AT LEAST one full year. This means the book cannot have a publication date of 1/1/2012 or later (any book published in the year 2011 or earlier qualifies, as long as it has been on your TBR pile – I WILL be checking publication dates). Caveat: Two (2) alternates are allowed, just in case one or two of the books end up in the “can’t get through” pile. 

2.  To be eligible, you must sign-up with Mr. Linky at Adam's website (done!) – link to your list and add updated links to each book’s review.  Every listed book must be completed and must be reviewed (doesn’t have to be too fancy) in order to count as completed.
3.  The link you post in the Mr. Linky below must be to your “master list” (see mine below).  This is where you will keep track of your books completed, crossing them out and/or dating them as you go along, and updating the list with the links to each review (so there’s one easy, convenient way to find your list and all your reviews for the challenge).  See THIS LINK for an idea of what I mean.  Your list must be completed by December 31st, 2012.
4. Leave comments on this post as you go along, to update us on your status. Come back here if/when you complete this challenge and leave a comment indicating that you CONQUERED YOUR 2013 TBR LIST!  Every person who successfully reads his/her 12 books and/or alternates (and who provides a working link to their list, which has links to the review locations) will be entered to win a $50 gift card from Amazon.com or The Book Depository!
5. Crossovers from other challenges are totally acceptable, as long as you have never read the book before and it was published pre-2012!
Here’s my list:
(I've included a few I never got around to last year)
  1. This Year it Will be Different by Maeve Binchy
  2. Little Bee by Chris Cleave
  3. Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter by Seth Grahame-Smith
  4. The Red Tent by Anita Diamant
  5. The Passage by Justin Cronin
  6. Ender's Game by Orson Scott Caro
  7. Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern
  8. The Host by Stephanie Meyer
  9. The Killer Angels by Michael Shaara
  10. State of Wonder by Anne Patchett
  11. The Magicians by Lev Grossman
  12. Made in the USA by Billie Letts
Alternates:
  1. Dead Man’s Walk by Larry McMurtry
  2. Their Eyes Were Watching God, Zora Neale Hurston
When I review each of the above books, I'll link them to my post.

A couple of notes about my picks...

  1. I've always wanted to read Binchy (she was a favorite of my book club gal, Dot Kellner, in Colorado).
  2. A book I didn't get around to in last year's TBR challenge, and one that I missed reading with my Colorado book club. 
  3. Can't believe I haven't read this one yet. I'll wait to rent the movie until after I read it.
  4. Leftover from last year's TBR, and one I've been wanting to read (and really digest) for years.
  5. Recommended by my brother-in-law, and then I went home and realized I have had it for at least a year. I understand book 2 is out, so good timing.
  6. A great author friend, Shauna Kelley, recommended this to me. It's one of her favorites and one she re-reads every year.
  7. Picked this up purely on the reviews. Hope it's good. It's been gathering dust, so I'm hoping this challenge will finally put it into my read pile.
  8. Leftover from last year. I'm hesitant, but I want to read it before the movie.
  9. Supposedly one of the best historical fiction books on the Civil War, and a leftover from last year's challenge.
  10. I had a different Anne Patchett book on last year's list, but I wanted to read this one more.
  11. From last year's list.
  12. From last year's list, and I love Billie Letts. Shocked I didn't get around to it.

My alternates are the same as last year.

Wishing everyone a 2013 filled with great reads!

1 comments:

Beth said...

I hope you like Ender's Game. My next to read is the second Ender book, Speaker for the Dead.