Sunday, March 14, 2010

Relevancy and Importance




One thing about the blog world I hadn't expected... you are antiquated within hours. I can't help but feel competition to stay at the top of my friends' blog site lists, but to do that, you have to have the most updated entries. Wow! I had no idea.

I always have something to say, but do I always have something to say that people want to hear or that makes some difference? I saw a movie today, Remember Me. Yes, I'm all about the movies and books. My girlfriend, you know who you are!!!, is a Robert Pattison junkie (Twilight), so she invited me. He's definitely not bad on the eyes, so I was willing. I figured it could not be another Shutter Island.

Sooooo depressing. You just knew the minute this guy finally smiled, after all the heartache, he was doomed. I don't want to give anything away, but the previews did not set up the tears that ended up streaming down my face. Hearing 20 minutes before going about my mom going into the hospital for chest pains (say prayers, but all looks good so far) didn't help my emotional tightrope walking, either.

In the movie, the main character (Robert!!! aka Edward - the whole movie I kept waiting for him to bite the neck of his love interest - never happened!) quotes Gandhi saying (and I paraphrase), "Most of what we will do will be insignificant, but we should do it anyway." I needed this kind of inspiration for my book, for my life. If nobody buys my book, I will be proud and I will leave a legacy of thought and accomplishment for my girls to see and hold. Not a bad day at the office!

This made me web search Gandhi quotes to find I quite liked the guy... sorry Ben Kingsley, I think you are a rare form of actor, but I have never seen your Gandhi.

Some of my favorites for you to enjoy or dispose of:


"Hatred ever kills, love never dies; such is the vast difference between the two. What is obtained by love is retained for all time. What is obtained by hatred proves a burden in reality for it increases hatred. Non-cooperation with evil is a sacred duty. "


"When I despair, I remember that all through history the way of truth and love has always won. There have been tyrants and murderers and for a time they seem invincible but in the end, they always fall."

and finally, and importantly:


"My grandfather once told me that there were two types of people: those who do the work and those who take the credit. He told me to try to be in the first group; there was much less competition."

Good night!

1 comments:

Dana & Keith Newbrough said...

Great quotes - smart man. I do think that life should be lived as much to be happy (and for God to be happy) with how you lived it, as to be happy with how you leave it. And, I will not be adding that movie to my list - depressing is not what I need nowdays. I love you sis and enjoy reading your blog entries.