Sunday, July 24, 2011

Call Me When You Land, Michael Schiavone (5 stars)

A great book, and I reserve 5 stars for truly exceptional pieces.

I've highlighted this book on my Depression Cookies blog twice: Friday Feature: Favorite Thing I Read This Week and Why 7/22/11 and Reading and Writing Go Hand in Hand.

A quick recap of my 7/22/11 post:

Call Me When You Land is a heartbreaking look into a family overcome by addicition. Katie loves her son, fifteen-year-old C.J., but she stuggles against poor choices, bad breaks, and self-destruction.

Reading this book was a lesson in character development. Shiavone exposed the characters in a slow-motion build, like watching an X-ray slowly come into focus. My heart was heavy, but I had hope and a strong desire to see this mom and child make it. The book is scheduled for a November 2011 release, please check it out.

My full review can be found at Rebecca's Reads.

Note: this book is at times gritty. If you are looking for light or breezy, this isn't the book for you. It's a no-nonsense book about addiction and its devastating effects on a family. For another great book with a similar theme, check out Shauna Kelley's Max and Menna (you can also read my take here).

If you've read this or any book I've reviewed, please leave a comment. I'd love to hear what you think.

0 comments: