Monday, April 2, 2012

Loving Book Clubs: Musing Mondays

Another Musing Mondays prompt from Should be Reading:

Do you belong to any book clubs — face-to-face, or online? If so, how long have you been with the group(s)? If not, why?

I have belonged to an in-person book club for the last ten years, and I love it so much that I always hate to miss it. You see, I'm addicted to books, so I need to be surrounded by people with the same addiction so we can support one another.

Unfortunately, I also move a lot. I moved to Maryland a year and a half ago, and one of the very first things I did was find a new book club. To me, it's like finding a Mom's group... you immediately have something in common with every single member of the group. You may never agree on a particular book, similar to a parenting style for Mom's groups, but you respect the people around you and sometimes even rethink your own opinion.

Being a book club member has helped me learn to appreciate all genres, as well as teaching me how to analyze a book while I'm reading it. Plus, I love hearing others' opinions and discovering aspects of a book I might have missed.

I have never joined an online book club, however. It could be fun. Anybody tried this? If so, where do you find a group?

0 comments: