Friday, April 6, 2012

The Spirit Keeper, Melissa Luznicky Garrett (5 stars)

Please welcome a special guest reviewer today… my daughter, Jackie Bach. Jackie loves to read. It’s a gift I’m proud to have given her, since she always sees her Mom’s nose in a book.

Jackie will be 12 in May, and she’s a sixth grader. Her favorite authors include: Tamora Pierce, Rick Riordan, Suzanne Collins, and Cassandra Clare. But now she is adding a new author to her list, Melissa Luznicky Garrett.

*****
From Amazon: After her mother and grandparents die in a raging house fire, eleven-year-old Sarah Redbird ends up in the custody of her aunt and uncle. Six years later, Sarah discovers the fire may not have been an accident at all, but a deliberate act of revenge.

Sarah's family has kept the truth of their Native American heritage secret her entire life, refusing to acknowledge where they came from. But when a family that has direct ties to their past moves to town, Sarah's true identity is revealed.

What Sarah soon learns is that some secrets are better left unspoken.

My family and I were traveling home yesterday from spring break, and I had just finished my mom’s book, Depression Cookies (look for my review of that in a few days), before the flight. I asked Mom if she had anything I could read. She handed me her Kindle with The Spirit Keeper.

I have a definite taste in books. I prefer fantasy and paranormal. Mom keeps trying to get me to read other genres, so I wasn’t so sure when she offered me this book. I’m so glad I trusted her, because I really loved Spirit Keeper.

I read this book in a few hours. Mom asked if I would write a review. I don’t really know what to say, but I can tell you it was an awesome book. Mom said I needed to write more than that, so she asked me a few questions.

What’s the book about?

The main character, Sarah, starts out clueless as to who she really is.  She is being raised by her aunt and uncle since her Mom and grandparents died in a fire. She doesn’t know her dad, but she thinks she’s seen him in a dream.

When new neighbors move in, Sarah’s Aunt and Uncle tell her about her heritage. Sarah is from the earthly children born of the Sun and Moon. The Sun and the Moon had two children, Ka-mut and Kai.

Ka-mut, who was evil, bewitched a young lady who gave him six sons. They each became leaders of their own tribe and passed evil through their bloodlines.

Kai, who was good, choose a man and they had a daughter, Katori. The Sun and Moon blessed Katori with the ability to control the five elements, the most important was Spirit.

Sarah’s aunt and uncle had wanted to protect her from people who might want to harm her because her bloodline is mixed.

Who was your favorite character and why?

Sarah, because I’d want to be friends with her in real life. She is always supportive of her friend, Priscilla, and she’s strong. I know if I was ever bullied, Sarah would stand up for me. In the book, she stands up for herself and her friends.

What was your favorite scene in the book?

When Victor Hunt, Sarah’s neighbor, comes after Sarah because he wants revenge for something her family did. Mom says I can’t give away too much, but this is when Sarah finds out her true power.

Now I have a question… when is the next book in the series, The Seventh Tribe, coming out? I’m really looking forward to it!!

Rating: 5 stars

Note from Mom: I kept asking Jackie what she thought of the book while we were on the plane. She just kept waving me off, never lifting her eyes from the Kindle. I even had to order her drink for her.

She has me very excited to read and review it.

For more information, please visit Melissa’s blog, Someday, When I’m Famous.

My review of Melissa’s first young adult book, Turning Point, can be found here.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I love hearing nice things about my book from *all* readers, but especially from *younger* readers. After all, it's for them that I write in the first place.

Jackie - I am so very pleased you loved The Spirit Keeper! Rest assured I'm already working on The Seventh Tribe and will have it available just as soon as I can.

Again, thank you for your kind words! It's readers like you who make me love what I do. :-D

Tia Bach said...

Jackie loved your note. Thanks for taking the time to write her, it meant a lot. You definitely have a new fan. I'm excited to read it!

Wishing you all the best!